Children need water just as much as we do. If fact they are usually more active so water is more important to them. A general rule for children is 6 to 8 cups a day, throughout the day. More if they are out in the heat. Now unless you were lucky as a parent most children don’t want water, they want other things so lets make it fun. A Challenge!
Below is a table of Ages and Suggested Daily Water Intake.
Age Gender Total Water (cups/day)
4-8 Girls & Boys 5 cups
9-13 Girls/Boys 7 cups/8 cups
14-18 Girls/Boys 8 cups/11 cups
Data are from Institute of Medicine of the National Academies. Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) Tables. Recommended Daily Allowance and Adequate Intake Values: Total Water and Macronutrients.
Here is the Challenge!
All children drink 6-8 cups a day depending upon age. Rules are 1 cup when within the first hour they wake up, that way the day gets off to a great start. Plus they are hydrated and refreshed. Second rule all water must be drank 2 hours before bedtime, that way we avoid accidents.
Tips and Tricks for a Fun Water Challenge
- Have a prize at the end, a dollar a day for each completed challenge day. Or maybe a special outing at the end of the challenge. Maybe there favorite dessert they cant always have. Whatever it is tailor it to the specific child.
- Do it as a Family, all children do the Little One’s Water Challenge and Parents/Adults to the 7 Day Water Challenge, Support and Encourage each other.
- Add fruit to their water it makes it colorful, fun, adds some flavor, and you get some fruit in them too!
- You can color the water with food coloring if that helps too.
- See if any of their friend, playmates, and/or schoolmates want to join in on the challenge.
- Most importantly make it fun, if it’s fun they will want to do it.
- Have a Water Challenge chart they can put a sticker on every time they drink a cup.
Get those little one’s drinking water, staying hydrated, and setting healthy habits for their future! When its fun it will stick with them! Enjoy!